Wednesday, September 9, 2009

A little more about the First Nations People Project

Last February I spent some of my time while in a state of semi-hibernation on my sofa, watching one of my favourite channels, The Biography Channel. In my semi-conscious state my mind was drifting to what I’d been reading, “1491: New Revelations of the Americas Before Columbus” by Charles Mann.

The book relates that there is plenty of evidence suggesting that the indigenous peoples of the Americas – we First Nations Peoples - were larger in number, had arrived earlier, were more sophisticated culturally, and controlled and shaped the natural landscape to a greater extent than had been previously thought: that we weren’t savages after all.

In one of those very rare and true moments of awareness, when the electricity in the air seems to spark and attention is focused and open and taking in everything around you, it was as if an Eagle feather had dropped onto my head. Then I realized I had been staring at the Thunderbird feather I’d been granted custody of the previous summer. I very rightly jumped off the couch, ready for action.

The television was showing a history vignette, created for Black History Month. Though generally only 2 minutes in duration, these little episodes purveyed a plethora of factual information about lesser known African-Americans and African-Canadians who helped shape our present world. And they were presented in an entertaining, and pride inducing manner.

My mind was racing as I paced the room. Why is there no “First Nations History Month”? We were only granted a national “Aboriginal Day” by the Governor General of Canada on June 13, 1996!

As far as learning our heritage, and being proud of your heritage, culture, and language, we are far behind the African Americans.

Shortly thereafter I began to do research; who are our First Nations heroes? Several Internet searches revealed that there are quite a few websites out there dedicated to the preservation of our languages, our histories, and our diverse cultures. There were a few dedicated to Aboriginal Heroes, yet hero was never used as a word to describe our peoples, past or present.

I posed the question to myself: who are my First Nations Heroes? Who do I admire for their actions and contributions to our understanding of ourselves, and to our own potential?

I am not ashamed to admit I could not think of anyone. That’s not my shame – that shame belongs to the writers of the Euro-centric history books which are still in use in schools today. But it would be my shame if I did not use my talents and interests to rectify the situation. I’d already begun my own personal journey, but what of all my cousins? (I refer to all First Nations peoples as my cousins, and everyone else on the planet too, which I will explain in a later blog.) There remains a huge gap of unanswered truths about our history, past, present and future. It is necessary to research, compile and present these uncommon truths to all peoples of the land.

I am only one Anishinaabeg Ikwe (Anishinaabee Woman), and by creating this blog I hope to reach as many curious minds as possible, to learn as well as teach, and to share knowledge, as our peoples had before. We have a lot to be proud of, more still to fight for. Even after 500+ years of subliminal and not so subtle eradication attempts, government sanctioned and otherwise,

We Are Still Here.

Stand up, smile, and be proud.

If you know of any links I should check out, or that I could connect to this blog, let me know.

Meegwich for reading, and pass it on.

No comments:

Post a Comment